Re: Non Metalic Rebar

Brian,

For Stainless Steel reinforcing bars refer to ASTM A955 and A1022.  It has been a while since I last researched plastic rebar (FRB Reinforcing Rods) but it is certainly available however note that it is not bendable so everything has to be straight bars or prefabed 90s, etc. and the modulus of elasticity is very low compared to steel so deflections can be a problem.  If all you are doing is adding either of these for temperature steel then it is probably not a problem but realized you can not use ACI 318 for actual structural design of these products.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Brian K. Smith" <smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net>

11/02/2004 03:42 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Non Metalic Rebar

    I am designing a foundation for a MRI device that will be installed within an existing building.  I need to reinforce the concrete with non ferrous reinforcement.  I was thinking stainless or fiberglass; but, I haven't the slightest idea what is available.
    Any thoughts?  I am not comfortable going non-structural.  I want at least some T&S reinforcement.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.