Re: The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer (Canada), Order of t he Engineer (US)

On the Canadian end, I can assure you that we did not make rings out of
failed bridge chunks.  It does make a neat story though.
--------------------------

From: David Maynard <davemaynard(--nospam--at)ceincorp.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tue Nov 02 13:42:17 2004
Subject: RE: The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer (Canada), Order of the
Engineer (US)

I just read in Structure Magazine that ASCE has really jumped on with this
and has done an "initiation" during their October convention.  If ASCE is on
board with this, it is only a matter of time before just about every
engineering college with an ASCE student chapter starts performing said
ritual during commencement.  I think this is something that is already in
the works and will eventually become streamlined across the US.

By the by, it was during our commencement that the story of the twice
collapsed Montreal bridge was shared with me and my class mates.  We were
also informed that the original rings actually came from a piece of re-bar
from the second collapsed attempt at the bridge.  The Order of the Engineer
came around after that and stainless steel rings have been handed out to
engineers.  Just something I thought I would share.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming
---