Re: Way Off Topic: Interesting Endorsements !!

Christopher Wright wrote:

On Nov 2, 2004, at 11:33 AM, Jen Wadsworth wrote:

Just curious - what should GW have done with his "rare opportunity to bring us all together in a common cause" ?? I thought the country was in unison in
wanting some revenge after 9/11.

We all wanted revenge--even bleeding heart liberals like me, but revenge doesn't accomplish anything. So here's a what-if idea for election day, when not a lot of real work will get done anyway.

Given the global outpouring of sympathy that week, I'd bet that 9/11 could have motivated a truly world-wide 'war' against terror, with the first 'battle' to be settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: security for Israel and a viable Palestinian state. That would go a long way toward cutting a great many terrorist organizations off at the knees. I really think that the UN with the financial, diplomatic and military backing of every member nation, could have done it. (The alternative is that it can't ever be done, and the conflict will last forever, which effectively makes humankind an evolutionary dead end.)

As a joint task a real leader could have gotten work started on an international effort to isolate terrorists by keeping track of them, sharing information, and rendering terrorists visible. It would have meant eating some crow by taking on all terrorists: the IRA, the Tamil Tigers, whatever the Phillipine Huks now call themselves, God knows how many African 'militia' gangs and the Columbian drug mob, and it would be a huge job by itself, let alone overcoming the notion that our pet murderers are freedom fighters and an internal matter, while yours are terrorists and a worldwide concern.

It would be a huge job, that probably would never actually be finished, but with the WTC ruins as background, it could have been at least given a start. I daresay TR or cousin Franklin were the only presidents ever with the cachet, vision, brains and drive to bring it off. If Dub had even given the notion as much as a lick and a promise, a real international war against terrorism wouldn't be as dead as disco.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

Speaking for myself, I didn't want "revenge."

I wanted (1) justice and (2) to stop the terrorist depredations on this nation and its citizens that had gone on with increasing vehemence for years while "leaders" of this country looked the other way, and mouthed platitudes about how it was a "law enforcement matter."

And all this while attacking a defenseless country--Yugoslavia--that had done nothing to harm us and for the thinnest of pretexts: "They have mass graves" (no, they didn't), "they practice ethnic cleansing" (in another time and another place that's called "removing the enemy from your land"), etc.

I didn't hear a peep out of any liberal while Bill Clinton carpet-bombed a Christian nation so that a Muslim ethnic group could finish taking over their land--and proceed to train terrorists to continue "jihad" against us.

I am all for leaving anyone alone that doesn't pose a threat to us, or can be contained in the usual manner.

And I'm glad as h*ll that we went to Iraq.