Re: Non Metalic Rebar

Are you trying to use grade beams, or simply throwing in a hunk-o-concrete to stabilize the base of the MRI? I don't know how sensitive those are to vibration. I've done some pads for GDT QA measuring devices, with repeatability in the .0002" range, but they don't have large moving masses. In your case (interior application), once the concrete is cured, you shouldn't have any diurnal delta-T to worry about.

If T&S is your main worry (little/no need for actual tension reinforcement), this might be a case for talking to W R Grace to see if they have any new data on their STRUX 90/40 fibers. I have not spec'd them but I have some baggies here in the office - they aren't the old fibrillated poly. A few months ago, they had data for one-for-one WWF replacement in SOG, and were claiming residual strength on the order of steel fibers, but the availability/cost at the time was not competitive to WWF. If you're looking at SS or CF, you're already talking some dollars, so that part isn't an issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian K. Smith <smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net>
To: Seaint <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tue Nov 02 15:42:36 2004
Subject: Non Metalic Rebar

    I am designing a foundation for a MRI device that will be installed
within an existing building.  I need to reinforce the concrete with non
ferrous reinforcement.  I was thinking stainless or fiberglass; but, I
haven't the slightest idea what is available.
    Any thoughts?  I am not comfortable going non-structural.  I want at
least some T&S reinforcement.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.

Jordan Truesdell, PE