RE: Lateral Bracing

We use a lot of inverted “V” frames with HSS members for diagonals for lateral bracing.  One thing we like is the HSS members can be placed in a stud wall.  By adding stud track to the top and bottom of the HSS brace, studs can easily be framed between the HSS and the beam above or the slab below.

The stud wall framing is not impossible with angle or double-angle “X” bracing, but the framer has to have a better imagination… and wall stiffness can be an issue since the moment of inertia of the angle can be much less than the HSS member.

I have not used rods successfully concealed within the studs.  How do you install the rods?  Slot (notch) all the studs?  Try to thread into the wall from one end?

Bruce D. Holcomb, P.E., S.E.

Structural Engineer

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505

Springfield, MO 65806

ph. 417-865-6100

fax 417-865-6102

www.brpae.com

Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning & Development

Your Vision.  Our Focus.