Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Lateral Bracing

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The thing that I have found that works really good, and looks sharp, is the single angle in tension with bolts at either end.  The connections are easy to detail and fabricate.  The analysis is rather simple and straight forward.
Now, if you are looking at continued use of rods, but are having trouble hiding the turn-buckle, you might want to consider the use of "hillside washers."  The steel rod is threaded at the end for a nut and washer.  A notch is cut through the web of the column member at the base to allow the rod to pass through.  The "hillside washer" is set manually (no weld needed), the rod fed through it, and the washer and nut is threaded onto the rod and tightened to snug tight.  Their pretty slick is such an application, but take a little more analysis.
An inverted V using angles in tension only is also a viable option, but that all depends on the overall characteristics of the building and how you will want things to look.  This is also a good option if you are looking at very large tension loads through the bracing which may require the use of double angles over a single angle.  By using the inverted V, you don't have the break on the braces at the intersection to worry about.
Also, if you are bent on using rods and turn buckles, maybe give cable a look too.  It's a little more flexible, just as strong, and a little more workable for field installation.  They're ugly though.
I think it all boils down to what is available.  If steel tubing is a hot item and is costly, it may be worth a look into angles.  Same thing with rod vs. cable.  The main thing here is that you try and utilize tension (which it sounds like you're already doing) for your bracing.
Finally, I don't think the term "lateral bracing" is the correct term to use here.  Lateral bracing refers to bracing of the compression flange for bending members.  What you are referring to is commonly referred to as "X-Bracing," "Vertical Bracing," or "Wind Bracing" among other things.  Not looking for "boogers" but, what I found out after talking to a contractor, you may be using different words, you are still talking about the same thing.
Side note: Had a contractor tell me that when he says "estimate" he means "bid."  I had to try and convince him that an "estimate" and a "bid," as far as I'm concerned, are completely different things.  An estimate gets you somewhere in the ball park.  A bid tells you how far you're actually going to hit the ball.  After a while, I found that arguing with a contractor is like mud wrestling a pig.  After a while, the pig begins to like it.
Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming