RE: Can you say...

"Did Senator Kerry resign his seat? I thought he was waiting until he saw
the outcome of the election before he resigned."

He didn't resign, so he should still be there.  Even if he had won, the Democratic legislature in Mass. changed their law to provide for a special election rather than an appointment, because they did not want the Republican governor getting his pick.

Paul Crocker