Re: Lateral Bracing

Isn't tension-only bracing prohibited in highly seismic zones?

Javier Encinas, PE
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 10:46 AM
Subject: RE: Lateral Bracing

We prefer single or double angle X bracing or Chevron bracing with tube diagonals. We have used many other types as well, WF's, WT's, plates, pipes, channels, etc. but generally prefer angles and tubes. I have only used x bracing rods in small one story industrial buildings.

When using single angle bracing for commercial buildings, I normally require the single angles to be spliced at the intersection and orient their flanges in the same direction (not back-to-back). This helps reduce the required wall width.

I work with the Architect by suggesting how the stud wall should be built to accommodate the bracing.

Jim K.