Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Lateral Bracing

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
You are probably correct. The original poster was asking about low seismic areas.
My work is also in very, very low seismic areas also.
Jim K. 
-----Original Message-----
From: Javier Encinas [mailto:jencinas(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Lateral Bracing

Isn't tension-only bracing prohibited in highly seismic zones?
Javier Encinas, PE 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 10:46 AM
Subject: RE: Lateral Bracing

We prefer single or double angle X bracing or Chevron bracing with tube diagonals. We have used many other types as well, WF's, WT's, plates, pipes, channels, etc. but generally prefer angles and tubes. I have only used x bracing rods in small one story industrial buildings.
When using single angle bracing for commercial buildings, I normally require the single angles to be spliced at the intersection and orient their flanges in the same direction (not back-to-back). This helps reduce the required wall width.
I work with the Architect by suggesting how the stud wall should be built to accommodate the bracing.
Jim K.
 -----Original Message-----
From: Lester Unger [mailto:lesterunger(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 11:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Lateral Bracing

Most of our projects are steel framed, one to three stories in a low seismic zone. We try to use X-bracing with rods and turnbuckles to resist lateral loads but find it difficult to conceal the turn buckles in the walls. “Type 2” connections are used on projects where the x-bracing won’t work. What is the most popular and economical lateral bracing system to use? What are some other practical types of x-bracing material to use?


Thanks in advance

Do you Yahoo!?
Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.</a