Re: ASTM For Headed Anchor Bolts--All thread--

What ASTM is all thread?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 11:43 AM
Subject: RE: ASTM For Headed Anchor Bolts

Rich,

This is not a problem. Sometimes it takes a 2x4 between the eyes to persuade someone to use headed anchor bolts.

The correct spec for all anchor bolts is ASTM F 1554. There are many tests that show that the hooked anchor bolts do not work reliably. The maximum length that you can get using an A 307 is about 8 inches. Longer headed bolts than 8" will be "hot headed". But hot heading is expensive for small quantities like anchor bolts.

The best way is to draw a detail with a rod threaded on each end with a nut on the anchored end with the threads mechanically deformed. They will take a punch and drive it into the threads at the nut interface to "lock" the nut to the bolt shaft to form the head. They can also use all-thread for the bolt shaft. It saves the threading process.

Regards,
Harold Sprague