Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: to block or not to block?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Yes, I agree.  But, you could use a single 2x at the roof sheathing (between the trusses).  Then the wall sheathing (or sort of wall sheathing) could be nailed to it for the shear transfer.



Joseph R. Grill, PE (Structural)




-----Original Message-----
From: Meyer, Albert [mailto:AMeyer(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 3:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: to block or not to block?


Joe -


I would want blocking between trusses to transfer shear from the diaphragm to the sheathing and have the panel edge blocked (shearwall boundary).  Just my opinion.


Albert J. Meyer, Jr.
Cagley Harman & Associates, Inc.
Structural Engineers & Parking Consultants

900 West Valley Forge Road
Suite 200
King of Prussia, PA 19406-4525
610.337.3360 phone
610.337.3359 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 5:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: to block or not to block?

I was going home last night by a route that I normally don’t take.  A house under construction is just about closed in and I noticed that instead of blocking between the ends of the roof trusses the contractor had just sheathed over the ends of the trusses.  At first I wasn’t too surprised as construction around here can turn up all kinds of strange things, but then I thought…why not?  These are manufactured residential roof trusses, with plated panel points, almost parallel top and bottom chords and heel depths of about 24” from what I could see as I drove by.  I noticed hurricane clips where the sheathing hadn’t been applied yet.  But, if the sheathing is nailed per what would be required to transfer the shear from the roof diaphragm to the wall plate, such as a shear wall would be nailed, wouldn’t that be adequate to restrain the trusses from rolling over?  It appears that the shear transfer would be there.  Kind of like a really short shear wall.  Just a question for discussion.

Joe grill


Joseph R. Grill, PE (Structural)