RE:ACI Code and single layer steel in 12" wall

Chic:

You are thinking of section 14.3.4 (in the 2002 ACI at least).  It states:

"Walls more than 10 in. thick, except basement walls, shall have
reinforcement for each direction placed in two layers parallel with the
faces of the wall in accordance with the following..."

Section 14.1.2 might provide your "out", however.  It states:

"Cantilever retaining walls are designed according to flexural design
provisions of Chapter 10 with minimum horizontal reinforcement according
to 14.3.3."

In addition, the commentary for 14.1 states "Chapter 14 applies generally
to walls as vertical load carrying members.  Cantilever retaining walls
are design according to the flexural design provisions of Chapter 10."

Personally, I am not sure that I would put a single layer of steel at the
centerline of a retaining wall as it is more "efficient" to place it
closer to one side (i.e. closer to the side against the retained earth),
but it certainly seems to be permissible from the code point of view.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI