Hooks on bottom reinforcing steel in pile caps

Does anyone know why the CRSI handbook shows 180
degree hooks on the bottom reinforcing steel in pile
caps? Why not just use 90 degree hooks. Bars with 90
hooks are less expensive to fabricate and easier to
install (especially where hooks hit hooks in the
corners of the pile caps).

The strength and development length of 90 degree and
180 degree hooks are identical. As far as I?m
concerned, either hook type could be used in the
bottom bars in pile caps.

Am I missing something?

TIA,

Cliff Schwinger