From: Andrew Kester [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 9:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: conc retaining walls

I agree with Scott and Steve, I would use two layers of reinforcement on a cantilvered concrete retaining wall, whether code allows you not to or not.

The way I always have done it, is I first design the flexural reinforcement on the soil side (tension), get a bar spacing like #5 @ 12" o.c. Then I take 2/3 of the required horizontal temp/shrink reinforcement, and put that on the "sunny side" of the wall, and the other 1/3 on the soil side. To support the horiz  bars on the "sunny side", I use the same size bars as the vertical flexural bars at a bigger spacing like #5 @ 48" oc. This seems the easiest to build as you are using the same size bar size and increments of spacing. I also try to coordinate all this with the spacing of the bars in the footing so it can all tie together. (Ref. Reinf Concrete Design by Wang and Solomon, 6th Ed).

HTH
Andrew Kester, PE
Longwood, FL