From: Cliff Schwinger [mailto:clifford234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 11:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Hooks on bottom reinforcing steel in pile caps

So what does a 180 hook do that a 90 hook can't do?

Both types of hooks have identical strengths and
development lengths.

I believe the statement you refer to is an explanation
on why hooks are needed. A long time ago (a way way
long time ago) hooks were not provided in the pile cap
bottom bars. Look at drawings from the 1950's and
earlier.

I'm not questioning whether hooks are needed - I'm
questioning why they have to be 180 degree hooks (vs.
90 degree hooks).

Cliff Schwinger

--- "Stuart, Matthew" <mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com>