Re: conc retaining walls

This scenario definitely wouldn't meet the chpt 14 provisions, with 80% of the vertical reinforcement (>2/3 total, 14.3.4a) on the soil side and 48" spacing (>18" max o/c, 14.3.5) on the sunny side. Of course, with no vertical loads, this layout would be just fine.

It's good to mention making your footing dowels match your verticals. It happens far too often that the spacings are not integral multiples and that gets annoying in the field. Another spacing issue is coodinating with ICF form manufacturers - they all seem to have their favorite horiz/vert. spacings.