Re: ACI Code and single layer steel in 12" wall

In a message dated 11/5/2004 7:57:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com writes:
What exactly does ACI mean by "except basement walls"?  Are basement walls defined as walls supporting earth on one side and exposed to accessible space on the other.  Or do they include any underground wall, e.g. a stem wall on a spread footing?

Is there another minimum provision for basement walls?

"14.5.3.2 — Thickness of exterior basement walls and foundation walls shall not be less than 7-1/2 in."

Also,  there was a ACI 332 (residential construction) code put out for comment this summer that defined basement as:

"Basement – that portion of a building that is partly or completely below grade."

I believe (Scott can correct me if I am wrong)  that documents are not put out for public review until they have gone through TAC,  which means that TAC (and thus ACI) accepted this as a definition of basement.

I will also note that I thought the 332 draft document was really, really badly written.  I submitted quite a few comments to ACI , such as noting the following sentence made no sense.  (I have not added, deleted, or changed any words.)

"7.1.1 — Provisions of this chapter shall apply to foundation walls of buildings are within the
scope of this document. "

Gail Kelley