Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: Hooks on bottom reinforcing steel in pile caps

In my experience when you have large bars, you also
have a pile cap that's deep enough to accomodate a 90
degree hook.

A bigger problem with these large bars (in my opinion)
is installing intersecting bars with 180 degree hooks.
This may be easy to do on paper, but if your're
standing near a rodsetter while he's trying to install
the bars, don't tell him you designed the reinforcing
steel.

Cliff Schwinger