From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 12:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Tension equations for anchors in CMU

Joe:

I doubt it is a typo...if so, then it is a typo that has existed since the
1995 edition of the MSJC (ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402).  So, I have to believe
that if it was in fact a typo, that SOMEONE would have caught it in the
past 9+ years.

I believe eq 2-4 is the allowable stress method for a necessary "cone
breakout strength" reduction when the anchor bolts are too close to the
edge of a wall relative to the embedment depth.  In such a case, the
"breakout cone" will be truncated.

It likely does not "match" well with the similar provisions in the
strength chapter as they have not really been "coordinated" as of yet (to
my knowledge at least).  So, the strength chapter handles that reduction a
little different.

I will ask someone that I know on the committee for their thought.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI