Re: Security Engineering: steel cable security barriers

In a message dated 11/6/2004 1:52:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, Maureen.Burke(--nospam--at)arnold.af.mil writes:

Does anyone "design" the post and cable security barriers described in the Army Mil Handbook 1013/14?  We are using the post and cable system around the perimeter of the building, but this application is for a large (100 ft) driveway entrance and it needs to be removable.  I am wondering if such a system could be designed to be removable, e.g., by use of a turnbuckle below grade, posts in sleeves, etc.  Or any other suggestions would be welcome.  I need an inexpensive solution for a removable crash rated barrier and all the commercially available options (active or manual bollards) are outside our budget.

Thanks,

I'm not sure I completely understand your application,  but you might try looking at the CASS system from Trinity Industries.  The website is www.highwayguardrail.com

Also,  the article in Concrete International by Presswalla mentioned by someone else is very good, with the caveat that there are some typos.  I remember reading it when it first came out and not being able to understand it.  I read it again,  after I had designed several barrier cable systems and realized that some of the equations are wrong.  I don't remember exactly what the problem is,  but I think maybe some of the Greek symbols did not get printed correctly.  It also seems like there was a paragraph missing somewhere,  or maybe some paragraphs were out of order.

It is a good article,  it just requires some thinking to figure out.

Gail Kelley