RE: Vertical component of EQ in UBC97 and IBC2000

Politics.  That is why you have to consider it for LRFD in the UBC and not
for ASD.  It didn't magically go away, the ASD factor of safety is not
higher or anything else.  As for the IBC, it must be considered in all cases
except for foundations.  I wish I knew why it could be neglected there.

HTH,
Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT