By the time the 2000 IBC was being developed this rationale didn't seem to hold much water anymore, particularly since the effect of the vertical component could be much more than any conservatism that ASD provides in design strength. Therefore, for the sake of consistency it was deemed appropriate to apply it to both methods of design.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> karimzadegan(--nospam--at)pidec.com 11/08/04 12:54AM >>>
Dear Dr. Gregory, please remember that this fact is well known for the code
committees also, so there should be a reason behind it when they allow
people to ignore this component, I'm seeking to know that reason and the
reason for changing it in the new code.

Regards,
A. Karimzadegan
M.S. C.E.
PIDEC
Shiraz - Iran
T : +98-711-2270120
F : +98-711-2299412
e-mail : karimzadegan(--nospam--at)pidec.com
  -----Original Message-----
  From: ASC [mailto:ggg(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au]
  Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 7:10 AM
  To: Struct EngAssoc
  Subject: VERTICAL SEISMIC COMPONENT

  I do not really remember what those codes are saying.
  But I know for sure that some quakes happen to have some strong
  vertical components. No matter how you place yourself strategically
  between the codes, you can be held negligent for ignoring
  this well known physical fact.

  Sincerely
  Gregory

  Sincerely, Gregory