ACI Code and single layer steel in 12" wall

Chic Gilligan wrote:

  "Any advice on designing a 12" thick  retaining wall, 6' high and how
it
may conform with ACI Code (pretty sure they require two layers for 10"
and
thicker.)  Structurally it works, but don't know how to address code
issue
of two layers.  I want only one layer of steel at centerline of wall.

Chic Gilligan, PE"

Chic,
I'd be afraid of the usual placing tolerances leaving you with a 'd' of
3 inches instead of the 6 you're counting on.  In addition, you really
want some front-face steel for temperature and shrinkage.  And, finally,
it might be harder to place concrete down two 5 inch slots than down the
middle, leaving you with segregation.  Possible Code loopholes
notwithstanding, there's no way I'd design that wall with one layer of
steel.  Whose money are you saving, anyway?  Rebar is cheaper than
lawyers.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota