Re: FW: Vertical component of EQ in UBC97 and IBC2000

I'm no seismologist, but I recall seeing photos of precast concrete freeway overpass girders whose bearing areas were destroyed, reportedly by vertical motion, in the 1974? 'quake north of L.A. (Sylmar?).  Not to mention the girder(s) that collapsed on the pickup truck, killing its occupants, but that may have been due to horizontal movement causing loss of bearing.

Ralph
Ralph Hueston Kratz
Structural Engineer
Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com