From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent:
Monday, November 08, 2004 2:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 16" thick CMU wall

I have been ask (by the architect, owner, contractor and everyone else in town) to change the design of a concrete retaining/basement wall that was 12” thick to a CMU wall.  The 16” thickness will reduce to 12” at 4 ft from the footing and then to 8” at 8 ft from the footing.  At the base the CMU will require a 16” thickness.  I am assuming the construction will be 2 wythes of 8” CMU.  Is there any special detailing required to make the double wythe work?  The wall will be solid grouted and will have quite a bit of vertical steel in both faces.  I also have horizontal bars at 16” o.c. Is there anything else required?

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.