RE: 16" thick CMU wall

How about using 16x16x8 column units?

Bob G.
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Bryson [mailto:mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com]
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 3:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 16" thick CMU wall

I have built 16" CMU walls using two wythes of 8" block wall by:

1) removing the face shells on one side

2) tying them together with high-lift grout ties

3) provide temporary shoring during grouting

4) add #4 ties between the wythes anchored by horizontal bars at ea. face

Since your wall is only 4'-0" high you can forgo #2 and #3

You can get 16" block from some manufacturers but they can be of limited availability and types.