RE: 16" thick CMU wall

It sounds like you are designing it as a cantilever wall. I've never relied on cmu ties to transfer the shear required for a composite section. I would hollow out the inside of the (2)-8" blocks and fill it solid like a pilaster.

I would be careful in proceeding with this if the flush face of the blocks is going to be at the compression side.

Will Haynes, P.E.

From: "Michael Bryson" <mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: 16" thick CMU wall
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:40:30 -0800

I have built 16" CMU walls using two wythes of 8" block wall by:

1) removing the face shells on one side

2) tying them together with high-lift grout ties

3) provide temporary shoring during grouting

4) add #4 ties between the wythes anchored by horizontal bars at ea.
face

Since your wall is only 4'-0" high you can forgo #2 and #3

You can get 16" block from some manufacturers but they can be of limited
availability and types.