Re: 16" thick CMU wall

Joe:

Take at look at section 2.1.5.2 in the 2002 MSJC (ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 402).
It basically gives you two option to make multiwythe walls act
compositely: 1) cross the "joint" between the two wythes with headers
(i.e. rotate a block 90 deg relatived to the wall) or 2) fill the collar
joint with grout and connect the wythes with wall ties.  The section then
goes onto to provide other requirements such as maximum shear stress in
the joint and precentage of headers if you go that route.

Personnally, I would suggest crossing the collar joint with headers.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI