Re: WOOD: "Engineered Wood Costs"

ALL:

Thanks for the responses so far.

I wrote before I had gone back in to my calculations to figure out what was controlling things. It turns out that the problem is WIND UPLIFT--a fact that you'd think I'd remember since I was discussing it here about that time--too many jobs, not enough brain cells.

One thing I noticed is that Woodworks 2002a, which I am using, does not allow "n-ply" members to be considered when sizing roof joists/rafters. You can "trick it" by halving the spacing, I suppose.

Anyway, I have been able to fiddle with the design parameters (mostly wind uplift) to get a TJI to work. I think the TJI is probably competitive; definitely so if the alternative is putting in a beam, etc.