RE: 16" thick CMU wall

Apparently, there is an industry standard block for this application, in addition to the proprietary "Ivany" blocks. I have used them on one job, and we used either 14" or 16" blocks filled with 3000psi grout, iirc. Didn't ahve too many problems, but the owner & contractor specifically requested their use, so they were familiar with the construction.

At 06:41 PM 11/8/2004 -0500, you wrote:
Back here in the East we can get Ivany block in 16-inch single wythe sizes.

Check it out: http://www.fizzano.com/pdf/Ivany1.pdf

________________________________

From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Mon 11/8/2004 5:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 16" thick CMU wall

I have been ask (by the architect, owner, contractor and everyone else in town) to change the design of a concrete retaining/basement wall that was 12" thick to a CMU wall. The 16" thickness will reduce to 12" at 4 ft from the footing and then to 8" at 8 ft from the footing. At the base the CMU will require a 16" thickness. I am assuming the construction will be 2 wythes of 8" CMU. Is there any special detailing required to make the double wythe work? The wall will be solid grouted and will have quite a bit of vertical steel in both faces. I also have horizontal bars at 16" o.c. Is there anything else required?

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.