RE: wall

Is 4' enough distance to get the required reinf. tension splice length at the very bottom of your wall?

Will Haynes, P.E.

From: "Joe Grill" <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: wall
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:48:40 -0700

I tried to reply to this earlier this morning, but it doesn't look like it
went through.  Basically, the wall is very high with a sloping backfill.
The restraint loads to be transferred into to diaphragm were too large in my
opinion to make a reasonable connection from the top of the wall into the
diaphragm.  In addition, the diaphragm that I had to work with was not
adequate for the imposed shear from the restraint forces.  It would have
caused a lot of headaches for everyone, especially me.  Therefore, I went
with a cantilever wall.  Since most of the construction around here is CMU,
I used a concrete stem for a portion of the height and then switched to CMU.
The architect and contractor had ask if the concrete portion could be
constructed of CMU.  I told them it would increase beyond a 12" thickness,
but the still ask.  Hence, all my questions.
Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)
Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.
Civil Engineering and Surveying