RE: Design of RCC Columns for Tension & Bending as per British codes

Alpana,

You can find the information in "Examples of the Design of Reinforced
Concrete Buildings to BS 8110" By: Charles E. Reynolds and James C.
Steedman 4th Edition (reprint 1999),
 E & FN Spon, London, (See Sections 14.3  thru 14.7) and Design Data
sheets 50 thru 60) .

regards,
Himat

>>> spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com 11/9/2004 11:31:48 AM >>>
Alpana,
I have designed using ACI in similar designs.  As in a lot of
engineering, I
had to go to first principles.  I do not think that it will be covered
per
se in the British codes either.

I would advise that you calculate the direct tension and add it to the

bending tension in the rebar, and design accordingly.  I would also
advise
using mechanical couplers with staggered elevations of the mechanical
couplers.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: a.kumar(--nospam--at)eil.co.in
>To: seaint-ad%seaint.org.(--nospam--at)EIL.CO.IN
>CC: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Design of RCC Columns for Tension & Bending as per British
codes
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:26:35 +0530
>
>Can anyone help in locating charts/ tables et al in BS codes/
Publications