RE: wall

Jason,

I like that method. Interestingly, even walls with less-than-ideal base conditions tend to act as a fixed foundation. I see this time and again in residential basements, where the wall has failed in bending just three or four courses from the top (in an 8'+/- wall). A pinned-pinned failure would be a course or two below the mid-height.

Jordan

What I typically do in this situation is design the wall as a fixed-pinned
using passive pressure.  The base is fixed and the top is pinned. The force
transferred into the floor diaphragm is reduced to 1/6 of the total instead
of 1/3 for a pinned-pinned wall.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC