RE: Repairing Cracked Masonry

Sounds like "Mother Nature" has created a control joint where none
previously existed...

Is that true?

What, if anything, did the architect specify?

Since it's vertical and not stepped, it would appear to be the result of
thermal/moisture stresses and not structural issues...

As we know, clay expands when wet while Portland cement products (CMU)
Shrink over time.

If it's a naturally occurring control joint, its probably needed in exactly
or
Nearly that spot.

Treat it as such: fill the gap with a compressible filler and backer
rod/seal the
Exterior side of the joint.

David L. Fisher SE PE
Fisher + partners