To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 11:25 AM
Subject: Masonry Lintels Size Limit?

Is there a practical limit to the size of a cast-in-place masonry lintel? A builder has asked to use grouted-in-place masonry block and rebar in lieu of a precast concrete beam. The opening is 17ft and the depth of the lintel would have to be 6 courses deep of 8" block. NCMA Tek 17-1b lists capacities for up to 3 course masonry lintels.

Are deep masonry lintels made with bottom course lintel blocks and then fully grouted regular block placed in running bond above that? I can't find any design info in either the NCMA Tek notes or ACI 530 that discusses block types or shear reinforcement for this condition.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA