	From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
	Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 10:26 AM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Subject: Masonry Lintels Size Limit?

	Is there a practical limit to the size of a cast-in-place masonry
lintel?  A builder has asked to use grouted-in-place masonry block and rebar
in lieu of a precast concrete beam.  The opening is 17ft and the depth of
the lintel would have to be 6 courses deep of 8" block.  NCMA Tek 17-1b
lists capacities for up to 3 course masonry lintels.

	Are deep masonry lintels made with bottom course lintel blocks and
then fully grouted regular block placed in running bond above that?  I can't
find any design info in either the NCMA Tek notes or ACI 530 that discusses
block types or shear reinforcement for this condition.

	Jim Wilson, PE
	Stroudsburg, PA