RE: VERTICAL SEISMIC COMPONENT

Contrary to previous postings the 1988 UBC considered the impact of
vertical accelerations.  It was the opinion of the SEAOC Seismology
committee that special provisions were needed only for cantilever members
and post tensioned members.

While vertical accelerations are real there have not been significant
problems as a result of the failure to specifically account for such
members.  Typical members have enough capacity to resist expected upward
accelerations.  The load resulting from increase in downward accelerations
is typically accomodated by the normal factors of safety for member design.
 Before we spend too much time worrying about vertical accelerations I
would suggest that wefirst identify evidences of failures resulting from
vertical accelerations.

Mark Gilligan