Masonry repair

From: "Rand Holtham, P.E." <rand(--nospam--at)sigmaengineers.com>
To: <
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Repairing Cracked Masonry

Lister,

For the sake of brevity I will condense a very complex problem into a simple
question that I have no answer for:
I have a large crack (actually many large cracks) in the brick veneer on an
eight story building. This crack allows water to penetrate the building and
attempts to caulk have been unsuccessful as the crack moves thereby
dislodging the caulk. I am contemplating the addition of a small  (say #2)
rebar in the grout joint  (grind out joint repoint with epoxy mortar or
other?) so that the reinforcing crosses the crack in essence stitching the
crack together. Then applying the caulk with the idea that the added
reinforcing will control the crack from movement beyond that which the caulk
can tolerate. I can see extending the reinforcing 24" or 36" on each side of
the crack This is not to stop the building movement but to facilitate
waterproofing the brick facing.

My simple question is--- will the rebar bond well enough to the brick and
mortar for this to be effective? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Replying to the above:

An alternative to a rebar (and cracking in the vicinity of it)
would be a wire mesh, fairly dense. Better yet, 3 layers,
first twice the size of the cracked area, next smaller,
3d still smaller. Bond it to wall and in addition hook it to mortar.
Cover with cement render. Will hold.

Sincerely, Gregory