Re: WOOD: "Engineered Wood Costs"

Jordan,
I don't know how they priced out, but as they were
supplied by a large lumber company which could supply
either the 2x12s or 12" wood I's, I am assuming the
2x12's were cheaper. They had their own engineer check
them and he sealed their shop drawings.
  I didn't get into the costing, as I was pre-occupied
with some column substitutions.  I had specified steel
columns as this was a big open house--cathedral ceilings
and I wanted to be able to have welded brackets for
beam seats. The framer asked the architect if he could
substitute 5 ply 2x6s for the columns and the fargy-bargy
archy okayed it without informing me.  Needless to say
the built-up columns (15.5' high) could not support the
load and the same engineer above refused to design the
wood beam-to-column connections.
Gary