RE: WOOD: Long Boards

Bill,

I have called out lengths in the area of 20', however, I back this up with a
call to the lumber yard to see if said length is available.

Also, I have found myself, sometimes being asked, sometimes not, about using
these TJI floor joists.  I have also found the BCI (Boise Cascade) I joists
to work very well too.  The last that I called them out, which was some
years ago, for our area, they were cheaper, and the design assistance
software that they gave was really handy.  It certainly helped in coming up
with a design needed.  Also, with the longer lengths, going with the joists,
you would most likely cut down on overall dead load, and you may have a
little better deflection control.  I also believe they are easier to handle,
but that's second hand information.  It's certainly something to consider.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming

---