RE: WOOD: Availability of No.1 and Select Structural Grades

Here in Wyoming, I found that the typical wood for lumber being sold is
"Spruce-Pine-Fir (SPF) No. 2 or better," as called out in the NDS books.
Therefore, when doing wood design or analysis using sawn lumber, these are
design values that I go with.  And this was the case at all of the lumber
yards here in Gillette, Wyoming.  Not that I am agreeing with your
"contractor friend," but our lumber yards do not keep "structural select"
wood on hand, and to get it would be a special order with a certain ammount
of lead time, and the $$$ is most likely greater.

It kinda sounds like this contrator (and in your case, I may be using that
term loosly) is almost challenging your ethics, as he is saying that you are
"running up the bill" for him to fix a mistake that was his fault to begin
with.  *sigh*  I hate working with contractors like this.  It might be worth
a phone call to a couple of your local lumber yards to find out what is
carried on hand and come up with a design that way.  It may also be worth
your time to consult with your client as to how this contractor is acting,
especially concerning a screw up on his part.  Best of luck.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming

---