RE: WOOD: Availability of No.1 and Select Structural Grades

Bill,

Just about every lumber store, Home Depot included, has some sort of
"Contractor's Desk" or an individual that handles material ordering.  These
are the individuals that you will want to get in contact with.  Not Stevie,
the pimple faced kick standing in aisle 4, working for minimum wage who
thinks that just because he wears an orange vest that he knows everything
about the wood that is leaning up against the wall.  The people at the
contractor desk or the one who does the purchasing of materials would know
what they are getting.

Bottom line, when an order is made, there has to be an order number and a
description that goes along with it.  When you do call a place like Home
Depot, you will want to ask them who the contractors place their big orders
through.  I guarantee you, they don't go walking through the check out lane
with a pallet full of 2x4's.  Sick your "intern" on these people and have
them visit several lumber shops in the area.  All from the big conglomerates
to the smaller privately owned stores.  I think you are going to find better
answers and cooperation from the privately owned stores than you will the
larger companies.  Just my experiences though.  I hope this helps.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming

---