From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 11:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: WOOD: Availability of No.1 and Select Structural Grades

Paul:

Don't leave us hanging like that...did they bury it or not?!?

Regardless, thanks for the afternoon laugh.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Paul Crocker wrote:

> "My problem is that I have no contacts in the lumber industry (I'm not
> counting the guy at Home Depot), and so she'll have to look up some
> names and build a contact list."
>
> You don't need a friend at the lumber yard.  Most of the yards I have
dealt with want to sell lumber, and are happy to let a stranger know what
they have and what they can get so that they can sell it to you.  They
probably try harder and give better prices to their best customers, but it
sounds like you would be happy knowing some typical availabilities.  I have
only gotten a rude sned off from a supplier once.  I was working on a very
large building with a very deep excavations, and the easiest sequencing
appeared to involve abandoning an excavator at the bottom of the hole.  So,
I was tasked to find out what the excavator cost to see if it was feasible
to bury one.  After hearing the situation, the supplier hung up on me.
Either they thought it was a crank call, or they took offense to the thought
of wasting one of their lovely excavators.  Short of that, though, suppliers
and salespeople are usually quite helpful.