Re: Wood Dowels embedded in concrete

Jim:

Section 8.2.3 of the 1997 NDS might help some.  It seems to give some
guidance on how the Table 11E (and the similar if not identical table 8.2E
in the 1997 NDs) are determined.  According to section 8.2.3 of the 1997
NDS, you are to use the lesser of Equations 8.2-2, 8.2-3, 8.2-4, 8.2-5 and
8.2-6 (which equate to 11.3-2 through 11.3-6 in the 2001 NDS).  You use
the dowel bearing strength of the concrete or masonry for Fem and it
appears the embeddment depth of the masonry for tm or lm (note that since
you don't use Equation 8.2-1/11.3-1, then the only Equation with tm/lm is
8.2-4/11.4/-4).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI