From: "Aswin Rangaswamy" <aswinpe(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Spectral acc. coeffs. in IBC2003
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:47:47 -0800

The maps in the IBC are just to make the book pretty.  I dont think anybody
actually uses them.  Values are obtained by punching in the zip code or the
latitude/longitude information into a software program.  The program
contains the information on the maps.  Los Angeles is quite wide and the
values can differ.  Based on the downtown LA zip code of 90012, I get a
Ss=1.5, S1=0.6.  Palmdale (about 45 miles from downtown) which is over the
San Andreas Fault has a Ss=1.597, S1=0.883.

Hope this helps.

- Aswin
Aswin Rangswamy, P.E.
Los Angeles, California