Re: Wood Dowels embedded in concrete

Thank you, Scott.

It's interesting that it seems to be excluded from the 2001 NDS.  And section 8.2.3 of the 1991 NDS has a short blurb, but its there.  That version seems to parallel my thought of using a thicker wood section as the base material.  Hmmm.

I don't have the 1997, but I do have the 1991 Addendum which seems to comment on all of the additions in 1997.  I'll put all of these pieces together and see what comes up.

Jim

Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu> wrote:
Jim:

Section 8.2.3 of the 1997 NDS might help some. It seems to give some
guidance on how the Table 11E (and the similar if not identical table 8.2E
in the 1997 NDs) are determined. According to section 8.2.3 of the 1997
NDS, you are to use the lesser of Equations 8.2-2, 8.2-3, 8.2-4, 8.2-5 and
8.2-6 (which equate to 11.3-2 through 11.3-6 in the 2001 NDS). You use
the dowel bearing strength of the concrete or masonry for Fem and it
appears the embeddment depth of the masonry for tm or lm (note that since
you don't use Equation 8.2-1/11.3-1, then the only Equation with tm/lm is
8.2-4/11.4/-4).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI