From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 5:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: META-DISCUSSION: How Participation on SEAINT Can Hurt You

Christopher Wright wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2004, at 3:02 PM, Bill Polhemus wrote:
>
> Sometimes you get out-lawyered in a case like that, which has happened
> to me. It's not easy to to sit there and be polite and objective when
> someone is trying to discredit you, but it's important to remember
> that it's business, not personal.

Chris, it may have been "business," but he had a way of making it sound
VERY personal.

How do you answer a question like "the fact is, you're just plain
incompetent, aren't you?" and (in opening statements to the panel) "I
don't know who this guy is, no one seems to have ever heard of him, he
doesn't even seem to be able to keep a job..."

My favorite one was "the fact is that you're perpetrating a scam, and
you know it, and these gentlemen here know it. How you can even look at
yourself in the mirror when you shave is beyond me!" (Come to think of
it, I shave in the shower without a mirror. Maybe this guy is on to
something...)