RE: WOOD: Availability of No.1 and Select Structural Grades

I no longer explicitly require actual grades or species.  Instead, I design
to specific material properties (E, Fb, Fv, Fc, etc.), list them in the
general notes or specs, then require that the contractor meet those
properties.  I do list example grade/species combinations that meet my
required properties, and the contractor may use MSR lumber.  I also require
that the contractor submit the specific grade/species combinations he
intends to use for each location.

I've started doing this because I work in the central USA, and we get lumber
from all over.  Whatever I specified, the contractor invariably called to
say that he could get a different grade/species combination cheaper; why
can't he use it if it's the same strength?

Example notes:
1. SAWN HEADERS AND JOISTS SHALL MEET OR EXCEED THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM
REQUIREMENTS (EXAMPLE SPECIES: #2 HEM FIR OR #2 SPRUCE PINE FIR):
   Fb =   850 psi    Fv =   70 psi
   Fc =  1150 psi    E  = 1,200 ksi

2. BEAMS INDICATED AS LAMINATED VENEER LUMBER (LVL) SHALL MEET OR EXCEED THE
FOLLOWING MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (EXAMPLE PRODUCT: "MICROLAM LVL" BY
TRUSJOIST):
   Fb = 2,600 psi     Fv =   285 psi
   Fc = 2,510 psi     E  = 1,900 ksi

As for your main question, #1 or SS lumber IS available as others have
stated.  It also is much more expensive, and can be a special order item
that could delay the project if the contractor doesn't bother to read the
plans before ordering his lumber.

Whenever I get into a situation where #2 won't work I try to coordinate with
my client.  Give them the options (TrusJoist, #1, LVL, etc.) and have them
make the decision.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC