RE: MISC.: Hardy Panel 24" - Anchor Installation

Bill,
Hardy frames (this is considered a frame rather than a panel that is
sheathed on one side with light gauge metal) is treated the same as it is a
plywood shearwall. The holddown device in the Hardy frames is a 7/8" or
1-1/8" diameter threaded rod installed concentrically inside the 12-gauge
columns (this is either 8 or 12 gauge if my memory holds).
With this said, I believe that the bearing plate for the holddown is
actually raised above the concrete or wood plate. Because of this, I would
believe that there is some capacity in shear to be obtained in the holddown
device, but the shear for the reaction of the lateral load applied to the
panel is obtained in the shear anchor located in the center of the panel.
I do agree that you should call Hardy or visit their website for additional
information, but my initial guess is that you need to treat the two systems
independent of one another (shear and uplift). If the anchor is applied over
a wood plate then the sill transfers the shear at the bottom to the concrete
and installation and size of the anchor bold required in the Hardy frame is
calculated on the demand of the Hardy frame and the capacity of the bolt in
shear minus consideration for the tension and compression anchors at each
end of the panel.

Regards
Dennis