From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Wood Dowels embedded in concrete
Buddy,
So, am I correct in assuming that you would use the concrete embedment
depth for lm in the Mode Im equation then (I suppose I could be a good
little boy and check TR12, but decided to be lazy and just ask)?
Thanks,
Scott
Adrian, MI
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, AWC Info wrote:
> Jim/Scott,
>
> Nels already recommended TR12, which is a good reference for this question
> if you don't have the 2001 NDS.
>
> However, wrt the suggestion to ignore certain equations in the 2001 NDS,
> this is incorrect. We consolidated all the connection equations in the 2001
> NDS (based on TR12) and now all equations must be checked for different
> dowel-types. There is no longer the option to ignore certain yield modes for
> certain fasteners and materials.
>
> Note that all equations except 11.3-2 use Fem (concrete dowel bearing
> strength) in some fashion (note the k1, k2, k3 and Re equations), so these
> yield modes cannot be ignored.
>
> There's a paper describing the changes to the 2001 NDS on our website:
>
> http://www.awc.org/Publications/papers/NDS2001article.pdf
>
> HTH
>
> Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.